My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.shannonkelleyphotography.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

privileged

Yesterday I had the privilege of taking pictures for 12 familys (about 20 kids) who are residing at a local shelter. I cannot show their pictures out of confidentiality but know they are the cutest kids and deserve so much prayer and respect. I had worked with the staff at the organization (who are amazing!) to put this together and much prayer had gone into it because that is alot of people to photgraph in an afternoon and the purpose of this was to bless. God definately pulled it off! Went without a hitch! While praying about this I have had so many thoughts about privilege (I think that is the best word to use...). Set down your thinking on stereotypes/ideas/knowledge of homeless, transients, etc and try to put yourself in their shoes. Imagine not having most of your belongings, not having a stable home, imagine having to look your children in the eye when they ask for something knowing you don't even have a place for them to sleep at night. How blessed and privileged are we in even the simple act of going grocery shopping. We at the Kelley household are by no means rich, we have to plan to pay the bills, save, and all that, but at the same time, if we want something we can get it and save for it. At the same time, we have a lovely little house, cars that run, and stable jobs. That is more than the majority of the world. United Nations report that 3 billion people, roughly half of the world, live on under $2 a day. Wow.

So today, even in a little way, take a look at your life and thank God for the privileges (and the greatest privilege of all...knowing him). And while your at it, say a prayer for the kids of last night and their families, that God would bless and keep them.

2 comments:

Amber Harris said...

Do you have a total of how many frames you need? If you will let me know, I will get them to you this weekend. If you need any help getting them ready, just let me know. I may also have some gift bags, if you want to fancy them up a little bit. You are one of the most selfless people I know and I adore you for it.

Bernadette said...

the awesome thing is that people are people...they all just wanted to be loved, noticed and to have a memory of their little ones. and the kids...what hams..it was a great night:)